Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Carlos Santana to open a church in Maui

Carlos Santana to retire in 6 years to open a church in Maui. From this month's Rolling Stone:
"I'm not sick of what I do, but I find that God gave me the gift of communication even without my guitar and with the ability to get people unstuck with certain sections of the Bible having to do with guilt, shame, judgment and fear."
I love Santana and his shows are incredibly spiritual, but I'm not sure his church would be my kind of place. But no doubt he has a gift of helping people see beyond their own horizons and get beyond their own myopia.

In the early 1980s Carlos Santana was baptized at Christian Life Center (Assemblies of God) in Santa Cruz, Calif. where I went to church and baptized as well. His baptismal statement was beautiful and illuminating. It did exactly what he says above, helping me to get free from some of the theological brambles I was stuck in at the time by pointing the way to a God that was far more than what any church or doctrine could describe.

I found the rest of the Rolling Stone interview sad and disturbing, as Santana describes the deep pain of his recent divorce and his on-going efforts to heal from child sexual abuse. God isn't finished with Carlos Santana yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment