Monday, March 27, 2006

The Border Crossed Us



Wow, this is the East LA I remember as a kid (or at least it's how I imagine it was). Major protests are happening all over the States about some of the new immigration laws that make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally. I even saw the mayor of LA encouraging the marchers on TV. I know illegal immigration causes a lot of problems for everybody, both those coming and those living in the places folks are coming to. There are a lot of complex reasons why "labor" leaves one place and goes to another, including employers on both sides of the border who drive wages down so they can make more money themselves. But if I had to pick between upholding a law or supporting a family's dream for a more hopeful life, I would have to side with the family. Everyone should be able to take advantage of a more fruitful, peaceful, and fulfilling life. After all, that's why I fled the States and snuck into Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment