Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Dad's First Job

Today would have been my Dad's 68th birthday. I first saw this picture only a couple of years ago and I really love it. It was taken in April 1952 when my father was 14. I brings me a lot of joy to think that somebody in his family was so proud of my Dad's new job that they went down and took this picture.

This soda counter was at a pharmacy, just a few blocks from our house (my brother and I lived in the same house where my Dad grew up) in East LA. I believe it was at the corner of N. Record Ave. and Brooklyn (now Cesar Chavez Ave.), right across the street from East LA Self-Help Graphics.

Not too many years later after this picture was taken, my Dad would be taking me to the same place and buy me a few Batman and Aquaman comics. Just that little memory brings a smile to my face.

3 comments:

  1. Great photograph, beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 PM

    What a amazing pic! It must be a bitter sweet day for you as you remember and maybe even mourn.
    Bless you and hold onto the gentle memories.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59 PM

    I love this picture too. The first time I saw it was when we visited Toronto in late Feb. You guys, (you and Sol and Ty and Amadisto) inherited, I think, the Gallegos look for sure. your recall is terrific, Aaron. Who would have remembered "Record"??? ;-) p.s. i showed your blog to Ty today so he could see his grandfather. He was impressed....

    ReplyDelete