Monday, June 18, 2007

Curveball

When I was about 10 I went to summer camp for the first (and only) time. I guess I was feeling a bit insecure, because when the other kids asked me about my father, I told them he was Bob Gibson, the star pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals. I proceeded to prove this to them by showing how far I could throw rocks.

I was afraid to tell them about my real dad, an alcoholic whom my mom and brother and I had recently left in East LA. The funny thing is that all the kids believed me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Oh, Aaron...that is the most sad tale..one I've never heard...Too bad I wasn't older when I was younger....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about older or younger, but you got me to camp, made sure I had everything I needed, and greeted me when the bus returned to LA. What more could a kid ask?!

    ReplyDelete