Sunday, April 02, 2006

India Joze




Ikan Taotjo, Thandua Korma, Lamb Sis, Walnut Lamb, Atjar Kuning, Paprikiascirske, Sate Daging, Kofta Kari, Mushroom Vindaloo, Masak Ajam Bumbu Bali (aka "Hubba Bubba"), Pursindahr, Calamari Titi, Dragon Chicken, Krupuk, Opor Udang, Gado-Gado, Persian Prawns...

This is just a small sample of some of the amazing dishes we cooked when I worked at the world's best resturant, India Joze in Santa Cruz, California. Just writing these words makes my mouth water. I'd happily take an emp tumis or bowl of dahl now.

I worked there, on and off but mostly on, from 1983-1990. It was hard work, and sometimes a pain, but now that I look back I realize what an incredible experience I had during that time. We worked with some of the most creative, beautiful people in Santa Cruz, we cooks were famous all over town for our wonderful dishes, and best of all we got paid for being creative and exploring the world through cooking, eating, and making people happy.

Joseph Schultz (aka JSFTW, His Imperial Jozeness, Jozseph Schultz) was the founder and inspiration of the resturant (in the top and bottom pictures above). He is one of the most creative people I've ever known---a true artist who to this day provokes me to be more creative in life.

Paul Lenik (aka The Big Guy -- pictured above in the middle picture) was the day-to-day heart and soul of the kitchen at India Joze. I have never worked with somebody who worked so hard every day. Paul was an amazing chef and a really nice guy too.

India Joze has been closed for some years now, but I'm still in touch with a few of the people who worked there (hi you guys!) and I'm always wondering what ever happened to everyone else. If you're out there and beat the astronomical odds of seeing this website, give me a shout.

GO HOT!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Hey Aaron,

    One wacky link to another finds me on your blog and looking at Paul and Joseph...ah, the small internet universe.

    Hello from David "Binky" Bain, of India Joze and Blue Moon Cafe fame.

    I'm in L.A. and work not far from your family's restaurant. :)

    Glad to see you are well and that life is abundant for you and yours.

    blonddudeCA a t yah oo.co m (hope that fools the spamers...)


    Be well,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, astronomical odds! Wow, is the universe amazing! Thanks for writing---you sound well. How in the world did you find this site--did you really just stumble upon it. Now I believe in magic.
    -A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Hey Aaron,

    I was surfing along, via an article in the O.C. Weekly and went to a blog that linked to yours and here I am.

    Email me!


    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see the Joze stuff Aaron! Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see the Joze stuff Aaron! Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Waited at joze before your time. Started there when the art center was just opening. Left Santa Cruz in 1980(?).
    Check out my pix in FB on early joze goodness.

    Victor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:33 PM

    AAAAAAHAAHHH!

    Cool photos! So great to see them!
    And great to see a comment from Binky!
    When do I get to see you guys again??!!

    xoxoxo
    aimee page-- former pastry chef at Joze
    www.vishnussecret.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:20 AM

    Hey Aaron, Paul, Jozseph & Katie,
    This is so wild to resurrect all these memories,,,one of the best times of my life, the Santa Cruz Joze Daze... what community, what a mission, what amazing people & shared food, and great saunas :-D
    Pretty extraordinary that we can contribute to the enthusiasm for Joze's new incarnation... I feel blessed that I'm in the Bay Area, so getting to SC for a day is no big deal... And since I STILL crave Nasi Goreng + Calamari, I will be there often !
    Wild Spring Cheer 2 ALL ~ Love Sasha

    ReplyDelete