Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Adelanto Bowl








These are the pictures I've been hoping for! Tony Elfering sent me these amazing pics of the P*Land Boyz shredding an amazing pool at an abandoned motel on old Route 66 in Adelanto in 1983 or 1984. Here's his note:


Little P*LAND history for you. This was a couple of years after high school graduation. Some of the few remaining P*BOYS would get together and shred the Adelanto bowl. This bowl was one of the P*LANDERS favorite spot to shred. I can't remember if you ripped this bowl. I think you did. It was next to the Roadway truck depot and Maverick stadium. At one time we were skating this bowl and a few of the Dogtown boys showed and shredded it with us.


From the top:
Devin Mills - extreme backside wheeler
Tony Elfering - frontside edger carve (or is that AIR?)
Tony Elfering - wicked frontside grind
Robb Perry - pure backside tile


Tony, I did skate this pool once with you guys, but I would hardly call what I did "ripping." By 83-84 I was well beyond my skate years. I was reduced to doing baby carves around it. You guys however (Sol was there too) killed it: frontside and backside air, frontside and backside roll ins on pure vert, vertical laybacks, grinders, extreme wheelers, etc., etc.


I remain amazed to this day about how hard you youngins shredded the Adelanto Bowl! Thanks for sending these to me. Hang in there man!



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:37 PM

    Oh yea, Dude those are some cool pic's. Yes I do remember your extreme carves over the light.

    Those were definatly my peak skate years. That was my favorite front side air. Yes that first pic was Devin's backside air and that second pic was frontside air. That was the only time i had my right hand on my board. If i look hard enough I might find some goodies with Sol at this bowl. He was a ripper also.
    Hey thanks for posting some of the good sh%$ from the vault. I will dig some more in 08. I am headded down to the old stomping grounds for awhile.
    Anyway they burried the bowl in about "85" i guess some kid got hurt out there.
    I will keep digging in the vault for more P*LAND History.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's kind of cute that "you guys" wore knee pads but no helmets!?

    ReplyDelete