Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Que Pasa?

Perhaps a country shouldn't be judged by its Internet comments, but I have to say lately I've noticed a sharp increase in anti-Mexican / Chicano / Latino comments in many of the articles I've read on-line lately. This one, applauding the work of Marciano Cruz in Santa Cruz (above, who I met in my work with Barrios Unidos), is just one example. (You can access the link to the comment section here.)

I could point out several other examples where rather innocuous articles about Latinos doing good or about Latino immigration receive dozens of racist, belligerent comments from across the U.S. I've only been gone 10 years, but have I missed something? What the heck is going on down there?

2 comments:

  1. We're all crazed. You should read other blog-comment sections to get the full hate experience. (I'm sure you have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'm learning something along the way too: the poorer people get, the less compassionate they become.

    ReplyDelete