Sunday, January 15, 2006
Hello, my name is Aaron and I am (quite possibly) an Internet addict.
...today I will spend no more than 25 minutes working on my blog page. That is, unless I discover something very interesting on the web that I NEED to share with my readers. --AMG.
FIFTEEN signs of an addiction to using the Internet and computers, according to Internet/Computer Addiction Services in Redmond, Wash.:
1. Inability to predict the amount of time spent on computer.
2. Failed attempts to control personal use for an extended period of time.
3. Having a sense of euphoria while on the computer.
4. Craving more computer time.
5. Neglecting family and friends.
6. Feeling restless, irritable and discontent when not on the computer.
7. Lying to employers and family about computer activity.
8. Problems with school or job performance as a result of time spent on the computer.
9. Feelings of guilt, shame, anxiety or depression as a result of time spent on the computer.
10. Changes in sleep patterns.
11. Health problems like carpal tunnel syndrome, eye strain, weight changes, backaches and chronic sleep deprivation.
12. Denying, rationalizing and minimizing adverse consequences stemming from computer use.
13. Withdrawal from real-life hobbies and social interactions.
14. Obsessing about sexual acting out through the use of the Internet.
15. Creation of enhanced personae to find cyberlove or cybersex.
From a New York Times article by Sarah Kershaw:
You may need to register to read it. But it's free and easy.