Friday, April 28, 2006

Descarga Numero Dos


Even though I loved The Motorcycle Diaries and Gael García Bernal is one of favourite actors, those that know me will know that I'm not a huge fan of Che Guevera or Fidel Castro. But I don't hate them either, as some do. I just think folks (especially those on the left) should have a more realistic view of them. It's hard for anybody who's read much about Che to discount his violent acts and nature. That's hard for a 99% pacifist like me to swallow. I'm enough of a realist to know that revolution is not a nice business and is sometimes necessary. But, in my opinion, that doesn't mean those on the left should idealize Che and the Cuban Revolution too much either. There's been tons of terrible crap purpertrated by Fidel and Che. I know too many Cuban exiles not to understand this perspective.

I haven't seen this movie, but I believe it's important to hear all sides.....

The Lost City
(KP International) Andy Garcia's latest flick, 'The Lost City,' is being banned in a number of South American countries due to the less-than-favourable light in which revolutionary Ernesto Che Guevara is shown. Cuban born Garcia, who coproduced, directed and starred in the film, worked on the project for more than 14 years. Now, after a long road to its completion, the film is being criticized for its politics.

"There have been festivals that wouldn't show it," said Garcia. "That will continue to happen from people who don't want to see the image of Che be tarnished and from people who support the Castro regime. He still has a lot of supporters out there."

The 50-year-old actor said, "Some people think Castro is a saviour, that he looks out for the kids and the poor. It's a bunch of hogwash. In the 45 years since Castro came to power, Cuba has been in the top three countries for human rights abuses for 43 of those years. People turn a blind eye to his atrocities."

'The Lost City' costars Jsu Garcia as Che, Bill Murray and two-time Academy Award winner Dustin Hoffman.

No comments:

Post a Comment