Sunday, April 30, 2006

Phelan

Phelan, California. This high desert town is where I spent grades 6-12 in the 1970s. Except when I lived there there was mostly nothing where that whole development in the middle of the picture is. But we never felt deprived or lacking anything. The desert actually has a lot going on simply because it's the desert----snakes, lizards, coyotes, an amazing diversity of flora and fauna, and of course some real characters. And what wasn't there our imaginations made up for. (For example, a real skatepark might have been nice, but we didn't have one, so we build our own ramps and plus we found some great skate spots in the desert, like the Knolls and the Lost Pipeline.)

Every time I visit Phelan I am shocked to see how much it has developed. I think there is pretty much everything there now---even sushi I hear. But I can still feel the ghost-like presence of the desert town I knew 30 years ago.

Even in this recent picture I can see some houses of people I knew. I wonder if they still live there?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:37 PM

    well, I dont think my parents house is in this pic, but you know they are still there. You would trip on the amount of lights at night, it still amazes me. Man, we all had some great times back in the day, didnt we? Sharon

    ReplyDelete