Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Mongolian Spot

My little brother Sol was born with a round, light blue Mongolian Spot right at the base of his spine. It was about the size of a Canadian loonie or a U.S. 50 cent coin. I remember looking at it with awe, and wondering why my brother was born with a full moon on his back. My Dad told me that the kids who had these spots had a lot of Indian blood in them.

It wasn't until years later that I remembered the spot and looked it up. Almost 100% of East Asian, Native American, and African infants have Mongolian Spots. Fifty percent of Hispanic infants are born with them.

I'm not sure my brother even knows that he had this spot. He couldn't have seen it, and even if he had, it disappeared by the time he was six or so and he probably wouldn't remember it.

As the big brother, I--of course--was born spotless.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:33 AM

    I'm quite amazed you remember this spot but then as the big brother you were quite bright! And this photo....whose spot are we looking at anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that picture is just another one of those anonymous Mongolian spot models from the Internet. Wendy wonders if I'm going to go to jail for posting it. I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Well, if you go to jail I think the Mongolian models should go with you..(which creates quite a little jail cell visual..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:28 PM

    I thought that was my ass !! I never saw the spot but it sure felt good !! Sol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Mongolian girl said...
    Mongolian spot is removes 5 or 6 age.
    The Mongolian spot should remove.
    If you had a that spot you are descendant of Chinggis Khan!! ;)
    It is nice!!!

    ReplyDelete