Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Revolución de Amor

Often when I'm feeling a little down, I'll put some headphones on and listen to this album cranked up as loud as I can take it. It's by the Mexican rock group Maná and it's utterly brilliant. While it doesn't take my blues away, it always helps me to incorporate them back into the fullness of my life and regain my equilibrium. But you have to listen to it really loud.

I bought my copy of Revolución de Amor---obviously a bootleg---from a sullen teenager sitting on a blanket between the Catholic's Cathedrál and the Aztec's Templo Mayor in Mexico City's Zocalo, a space with some pretty significant spiritual energy flowing through it.

From the blanket next to where I bought the CD, there was an indigenous woman selling giant Incredible Hulk hands made out of lime green foam that you could wear as gloves and bap your friends with.

Later that afternoon, a couple of blocks up the street, I saw a group of prostitutes standing in lingerie and high heels on the sidewalk outside a strip club. They were smoking and chewing on one of these Hulk hands, spitting the little green pieces into the street with loud disgust.

¡VIVA MEXICO!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 AM

    I love it-and from my first visit there-what you write sounds so very MEXICO!!!
    However it also sounds a little bit like a night working on our Public Health outreach van-hee! Maybe a little less Mexico-but all the odd bits and random things-quirky and sad and interesting and humourous scenes and interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Oh yah..and Mana is totally mind body and soul rockin-releasing music!I remember Jeff S saying how BIG they were all over Central America-and in his Nicaragua for sure! I loved the fact that a Mexican band was doing so well around the world and bringing pride and joy to Latinos.
    Hey I think I should try listening to it LOUDLY with my new hair do!

    ReplyDelete