Monday, June 16, 2008

My Walk Home from Kindergarten

Here's a little map tracing my walk home from Belevedere Elementary in East LA where I went to kindergarten and part of 1st grade. I'm pretty sure I didn't walk home without my parents most of the time, but I do remember at least a couple times when I walked home with the "big kids" on my block, who probably were in 5th or 6th grade (they made fun of my hippie medallion). I don't think many people would let their little kids walk home alone nowadays. But those, of course, were different times.

Here's a link to the original.

3 comments:

  1. Those were the mean streets of ELA. Somehow though, even the criminal element was a kinder breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I agree with your very wise mother about the criminal element, because we lived in Hollywood between 70 and 72 and I walked to school alone, it was only a block or so away but I also went to my camp fire girl meetings alone and those were several Hollywood city blocks away and all of the shopkeepers would say hi to me as I passed and no one ever bothered me and I was only 8 years old. Different time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I agree with your very wise mother about the criminal element, because we lived in Hollywood between 70 and 72 and I walked to school alone, it was only a block or so away but I also went to my camp fire girl meetings alone and those were several Hollywood city blocks away and all of the shopkeepers would say hi to me as I passed and no one ever bothered me and I was only 8 years old. Different time for sure.

    ReplyDelete