Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Guadalupe


From "The Warrior Queen: Encounters with a Latin Lady," by Luisah Teish in Goddess of the Americas.

"Then it begins again and She is there. Ave Maria Morena, the Virgin of Guadalupe. I talk to the Lady on the candle. Who are you today, Ms. Lupe? Shall I choose a green one for Tonantzin, the sustaining power of the Earth? I pick up the green candle and remember the coronation of la Morena. She was declared the 'Queen of Mexico and Empress of the Americas.' I recognize in Her Ala, the Igbo Earth Goddess; Asase Yaa, the Great Mother of Ghana; and Nana, Mother of All the Gods in the Kingdom of Dahomey. I take a moment to thank Her for welcoming my ancestors to these shores. I thank Her for the knowledge of the herbs of this land which the Native Americans shared with my people. And even now as I stand in the grocery store, I acknowledge that this little girl from Louisiana has found a place in Oakland, California. I am snug and safe in Her belly."

On Dec. 12, 1531, the Virgin of Guadalupe appeared to an Aztec farmer in what is now Mexico City. She is both a cultural figure and a spiritual one, and is a presence in the lives of millions of Mexicans, Chicanos, Latin Americans, and others around the world. On this day, more than a million people make the pilgrimage to her temple in Mexico City. Perhaps one day I will too.

(Art from Serena Supplee, "Artist on the Colorado Plateau.")

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:15 PM

    I just love this story about the Divine coming into Human form and especially into that of a woman! I can't relate to most Mary's-but Guadalupe is such a liberator-radical blessing that I can't but dig her!
    Here is hoping that today-maybe-just maybe- the source of Love that Guadalupe is- will bring light,joy and the deepest peace to all those who need it today in our suffering world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Hey..maybe Lupe will come visit El Monte today to ease and liven things up a bit! You never know! Hee!

    ReplyDelete