Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Somewhat Semi-World Traveller

I have travelled to just 7% of the countries in the world, but 72% of the American States. When you see it in a map like this, it's obvious there is a whole chunk of the U.S. I've been avoiding.

You can go to this website and fill out your maps as well. I didn't count places I had been to like England, Texas, or Florida where I landed on a plane but never left the airport.

Somehow, one of my clearest memories is from my cross-country bus trip in 1985. We stopped at a McDonalds in middle of the snow-covered cornfields of Nebraska and an angelic-looking young woman served me coffee from behind the counter. She seemed so young and pure she almost glowed. She had a beautiful smile. As I left the counter I noticed she had a tattoo peaking out from under her uniform that said "I was born to be a Hell Raiser."

(Note to would-be editors: "traveller" and "travelled" have two l's in the Commonwealth countries. That's what I think anyway.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:59 PM

    Interesting map. We're heading out in our RV this Spring and our map will probably come to look a lot like yours. For some reason I'm terrified of the South...?!

    ReplyDelete