Saturday, February 17, 2007

Teachings and Learnings

I taught Amado to high five.

He learned only to raise his hand and slap mine if I said "high five" while doing a Borat impression.

I taught Amado not to play with the remotes.

He learned that if he grabbed one, held it up in the general direction of the television and pressed as many buttons as possible, weird things would happen with the T.V.---usually resulting in the appearance of Canada's strangest televangelists.

I taught Amado that he could open the kitchen drawers and pull out all of our dish towels and tupperware to play with.

He learned to open all the drawers, including those with knives and dangerous household chemicals and attempt to play with those things as well.

Amado taught me that from the moment of birth humans have a deep and powerful impulse never to be alone.

I learned that this meant that no matter what, Amado would end up in our bed every night, sleeping between his mommy and daddy.

5 comments:

  1. It all sounds very, very familiar ... and strangely wonderful ... The co-sleeping doesn't end ... we occasionally still awaken in the morning to nocturnal pilgrims, who have found their way from their bed ...

    Research says being able to end up in Mum and Dad's bed is good for little people's sense of value in the universe ... and their warmth is good for mum & dad, even if it precludes cuddling and other stuff ...

    Enjoy ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:25 PM

    If that's the answer to everyone getting some sleep then it's perfect! And remember,he won't be coming in to sleep with you guys when he's 12 so there will an end to it...Now about those knives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enough with all the adorable photos of Amado! I want more adorable photos of Amado!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:12 PM

    To mama coopersleuth: I still very infrequently wake up with my very large 12 yr old son sleeping or laying next to me trying to shake off a bad dream or excuses of "your bed is more comfortable than mine." He is quite the kicker so I have had to send him back to his own bed more than a couple of times, carrying him back is obviously out of the question! So I am seriously considering a memory foam topper for his bed, but he also comes and kisses me goodbye in the morning and still says "I love you mama" every day. To hear a 12 yr old boy say THAT every day is a wonderful, treasured thing that hopefully is not fleeting. He also quite a knife collection that he is VERY responsible with so worry not Abuela! hope all is well and wonderful for you, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:08 PM

    hey, is I lika youuuuu next on the list? I absolutely loved that movie (with the exception of the disturbing and traumatizing nude scene! Sharon

    ReplyDelete