Friday, April 27, 2007

El Monte 1962

My mom and I at my grandmother's in El Monte, California. My mom tells stories about El Monte being nothing but orange groves and dairies when my grandparents built their house there in the 1950s. You can still see some of that in this picture I think.

You can also see my mom wearing heels, which I don't think she has worn again since this picture was taken.

This is the glorious LA I like to remember, but I don't think it exists anymore. I can still smell the oranges in my dreams though.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM

    You're right. I haven't worn heels since the day that picture was taken. And the last time I wore a dress was a mere 10 years later in 1972 at work in Barstow because I hadn't done laundry in a while. And what's up with wearing heels and dresses in the afternoon in a backyard anyway? (That's a peek of your dad to the left in the picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, do I have a mohawk in this picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Relooking at this photo it's clear to me I had balance issues in those high heels. I'm surprised I was able to hang on to you. And yes, a mohawk ala Maddox Jolie-Pitt

    ReplyDelete