Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Thunderbirds

A rare pre-P*Land photo from 1976. Tony thinks maybe we called ourselves the "Thunderbirds." This name would have come from two places:

1) The thunderbird metals we all wore around our necks in those days. These metals were sent out as direct mail pieces by the Navajo and seemed to be everywhere in the mid-70s.

2) Phelan's only bar back then was called the Thunderbird and figured prominently in the life of our town.

This picture was taken at the Elferings house. From left to right: George Elfering, me, Tony Elfering, and one mega-icicle! (Yes, there are icicles in the Mojave desert.)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I guess one question I have: Where are your jackets? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:07 PM

    You might have been known as the "Orphans of the Thunderbird"...ah, Joyce and Harry would have been prowd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:14 PM

    What a classic photo. I wish i still had my thunderbird. If you know were I can find one let me know.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:20 PM

    PROWD??? (OH, WHOOPS...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, that was the year I met you! man, has some time passed! I love how only mom notices things like the lack of jackets when standing with icicles or the lack of safety gear in the skate pictures...just goes to show- you never stop being mom no matter how old your babies get! You gotta love em!

    ReplyDelete