Monday, August 18, 2008

Now Reading... The Grapes of Wrath

My father-in-law has a ton of great books up sitting up at the cottage just waiting to be read. When I'm there I love to dig into the classics. Last year it was Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. This year, I got into John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. I haven't read it in at least 20 years. What an absolutely stunning work this is.

The Grapes of Wrath is a heartbreaking story written in 1939 about a family of sharecroppers who get kicked off their land in Oklahoma during the Depression by bankers wanting to make more profit by introducing industrial agriculture methods. They go to California in where supposedly "the living is easy," but find that it is anything but.

If it's not already, The Grapes of Wrath should be required reading for all Californians. It's a powerful reminder that there's an awful lot of people of all backgrounds in California descended from those who fled poverty in search of a better life. And there's nothing illegal about that in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment