Saturday, February 09, 2008

From Tourists to Pilgrims

The other night I had a dream that Joni Mitchell had died and I was watching as her fans started sidewalk memorials to her in front of all the places in Toronto where she got her start as a young folk singer in the 60s. "It's true," one fan sobbed, "she's gone." Then I heard Joni's voice, as if coming from everywhere: "You're acting like a bunch of tourists, man," she said. "When are you going to become pilgrims?"

(No doubt inspired by her famous scolding of unruley and unenlightened fans at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970. Here is a written description, and here is the scene on YouTube.)

(Or maybe there's a connection to this.)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:46 AM

    ain't those spiritual words you heard..i am taking like this..when are we gonna stop just watching-when are we gonna kindly listen to what makes us just watch and instead enter into the world reality-in all its joy and immense suffering...maybe then we will have a truly brilliant festival of love...and music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This woman is truly amazing and in my top five favorite singers of all time. Just yesterday I was downloading music to my phone and she was the first artist I thought of. I HAD to have Big Yellow Taxi, Chelsea Morning, A River to skate away on, Woodstock and the Circle game. Too many great ones to mention, for sure. I thought she was supposed to have a new album coming out. Do you know anything about it?

    ReplyDelete