Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thug Life

I downloaded 50 rap songs to my iPod (mostly stuff from the '90s - Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg), but every time I listen to one I feel gross.

I'm intrigued by the gangsterism of the Biggie vs. Tupac, Puffy vs . Surge, East vs. West story and all the unsolved murders which were a result of this supposed hip-hop war. This is the Sopranos episode I would like to see. But I am also drawn to this music because I knew young people in D.C. who were deeply influenced by its (largely) nihilistic message and I miss them. Some, in fact, are no longer with us. Like it or not, this is the real deal.

Here's one of my favourite articles from Sojourners (1996) that offers a sympathetic perspective on Tupac Shakur and gangsta rap, written by Tupac's pastor, Rev. Herbert Daughtry: "Who will weep for Tupac?"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:31 AM

    this is a really good article. and it is important for white folks like me to hear the lessons written here.
    of course i find it troubling that he was in prison on sexual assault charges..if he was imprisoned then(since i can say from work based experience that few men ever do time for this evil!) then he must have done something to a woman or women that makes me insane with fury. and i wish the pastor had said something about the violence he committed and if he repented or acknowledged it-and how such violence is just what a white male dominated usa inflicted on his female relatives over and over. somehow that piece is lost in the article and i think it is important.
    wendy

    ReplyDelete