Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Go Tigers!

Just in case anybody is wondering....here are six reasons I'm rooting for the Detroit Tigers in this year's World Series:

1) Detroit is right down the road from us, so how can you not root for them?
2) Detroit is a city that needs all the help it can get, including world championships.
3) For years the Tigers have been perennial losers, and I always like redemption stories.
4) They have a great legacy, including several world championships and players like Hank Greenberg (above) who played for the Tigers in the 1930s and 1940s and is one of the greatest Jewish players in the history of baseball.
5) The St. Louis Cardinals shouldn't even be in the series...the Mets were the better team!
6) Cardinal manager Tony LaRussa is a vegetarian! (that one is just for my Mom!)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Okay, all bets are on! I'm betting you a case of Santa Cruz Tofu and a year's subscription to the Good Times if the kindly Cards should lose. I expect you to come up with something equally interesting for me if the Tigers should lose, (que terrible!) I'm sure we can top the two very boring mayors of those fine cities who are betting each other local crackers or something like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent suggestion. I am so looking forward to that tofu. Let's say if the Mighty Roaring Tigers of Detroit should lose I will send you a couple of juicy Ontario moose steaks and a subscription to The Albertan Cattle Farmer? OK, it's a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've NEVER heard of a vegetarian tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Yumikins...you're on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Katie, there's a strain of vegie tigers in Santa Cruz. Once in a while you can see them sucking on seaweed if you're up and at the beach early enough...it's kind of cute...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Aaron, I dont know what the stats are for a team to recover and win from a 3-1 game deficit but I am also in Detroit's corner even though LaRussa is my favorite manager because the Mets do have a better team AND my Dodgers had more wins than the Cards...I would like to be a vegetarian but I like a good steak more...sorry Coop. Also sorry about the overuse of "I" and "my" in this post and Coop- do me a favor and snap and post a pic of that Santa Cruz veggie tiger for me the next time you see him...thanks, Sharon

    ReplyDelete