Sunday, November 19, 2006

March 16, 1940

I'm still into these old family photos that I just received from my Mom and Irene, so please bear with me....

This is the Amadisto and Gallegos family on March 16, 1940. Noting the presence of the rabbit and how dressed up everyone is, I thought it would have been Easter Sunday, but I checked the date and Easter wasn't for another eight days that year.

From left to right, top row: Probably Pascual Rivas, my great grandmother Rita's uncle; Rita Rivas Amadisto, my great grandmother (her picture from about 40 years eariler is here); and Edward Amadisto, my great grandfather.

From left to right, bottom row: Antonia Gallegos, my "Gram Toni;" the baby Rex Gallegos, my dad; the rabbit; and my grandfather Benjamin Gallegos who went to San Quentin about 1944 for murder. (This is a story that I am still trying to find out more about.)

I guess my grandmother's sister Laura took the picture because you would think she would be there, but she isn't in this picture or any of the others I have from that day.

This is at our family house at 154 Nevada Ave. in East Los Angeles. Four generations of us spent our childhoods in that house, ending with my brother and I. It's the same house you can see behind me in this picture.

3 comments:

  1. If my memory serves me, Gram Toni disapproved of the practice of dog-earring book pages, and I swear, to this day, whenever I dog-ear a page, I think of her.

    Do I have it right, or am I confused?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KT...
    You're thinking of my other grandmother, Bambea (see March 2006 post)---unlike any former librarian anyone could imagine, she was nevertheless a great defender and promoter of all books. She instilled me with a lifelong love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I do remember meeting your Gram Toni, I suppose when I dog-ear a book page, I've been remembering BOTH of your grandmothers!

    Thanks Aaron.

    ReplyDelete