Monday, August 20, 2007

10 Things I Thought about on my Summer Vacation


  1. I missed many things about not being constantly on-line, but neither blogging or Facebook were among them.
  2. I thought I was on to something when I saw some parallels between Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Yann Martel's The Life of Pi. Both feature solitary figures in out of control boats --- the old man being pulled by a marlin toward reality, Pi drifting with a tiger in tow toward unreality, etc. But then I got home and googled it and found out I wasn't the only one who noticed these similarities. Both are really amazing books though and I highly recommend them.
  3. I don't like mice. Especially when they bust in our car night after night, leaving an ungodly mess. And all for a piece of gum.
  4. I wish I had swam and kayaked more.
  5. My BBQ chicken is absolutely the best.
  6. There isn't anything much better than sitting in the sun, watching your son in the wading pool, and pouring over 3-day-old box scores of baseball games.
  7. I'm reviewing The History of Barrios Unidos for Sojourners and found it a very inspiring book, though the reasons may be completely personal.
  8. Michael Vick, one of the NFL's most talented players ever, will lose his career because of a dog fight?
  9. I had fun drinking wine with my father-in-law on the last night at the cottage, although the evening ended in chaos.
  10. It was great to see all my family from California here, together, in Northern Ontario. I would love to be able to hang out with them anywhere at least once a year. Twice a year would be better yet because I really miss them.

[Photo from a really neat Lithuanian's travel blog, but I'm sorry to say I can't find it anymore.]

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:26 AM

    loved your list..but confused about
    what chaos are you talking about after red wine and talking with dad? it all sounds so bad ass like someone started a fight or some body called the Works van??
    wmg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list too. I did hear about the chaos. It was featured on Channel 7 News out of SF this morning. Something about a tall man with a beard and a man with a dark pony tail running through the North Woods with stacks of books in their arms being chased by a mad herd of mice all chewing gum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you guys, wait a minute before you call the authorities! The only chaos which ensued was that I lost my watch...or I thought I did. I later found it in my bag when we returned home. It was high drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAhAhA...I think we should write a play about this "chaos". You know, son-in-law and father-in-law drink red wine together. Son-in-law loses watch but finds it in his luggage later..maybe Katie would be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you think your chicken is good Mabey we can have a cook off sometime.Sure miss you I really enjoy reading your blog.R Perry turned me on to it.I should have spoke up sunner but I am just learning how to use the blog.Purley All Fish Heads Rule.Ron Dog

    ReplyDelete