Saturday, August 25, 2007

And the Beat Goes On

My father played alto saxophone. Unfortunately, I don't have any memories of him playing, but several people have told me he could play a lot of jazz.

My father also wrote poetry and many of his poems had musical themes. Here is one I found the other day in one of his undated notebooks. It reminds me of the old days when my parents were young and their lives were consumed with art---something I can remember myself. Of course, my Mom's ["Chris" below] life still is filled with creativity (see her here blowing my dad's horn, some years after his death).

Duos

I am overcome by a madness,
A Jazz madness,
A madness in which I feel
I must blow everything.
From the word by Trane and Bird...
To things Chris would sing.
Bop and Blues are my obsession
My only love the open session.

--Rex Gallegos

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know you had any of his poetry. If I come across any more I'll make sure you get it. It is so too bad you weren't able to know your dad as an adult...you two had a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:26 PM

    so sad
    so sweet
    so beat or is it bet or is it beet

    ReplyDelete