Saturday, October 20, 2007

Greatest Sports Names!


October's a great sports month, with the Major League baseball playoffs, the World Series, and the NFL and CFL. So what better time to salute the greatest names in sports. These are my nominations, if you have better ones just let me know....

Baseball: Coco Crisp

I guess I'm getting used to Coco's name now that he's on TV a lot with the Red Sox. But the first time I saw him I couldn't stop laughing at his name. One of the commentators said he was named after his mom's favourite breakfast cereal. Watch him tonight in the American League Championship. However, he's been pretty soggy so far in the playoffs.


Football: Coy Bacon

Growing up in LA, I remember Coy Bacon from his stint with the Los Angeles Rams around 1970. I think I just realized what a cool name this man has. Cool, but a little weird. I'm hoping that he wasn't named after some kind of breakfast his mother had.

A runner-up would be Sherman Plunkett, who my parents named my first dog after in the 1960s. I still remember when I discovered Sherman Plunkett dead and stiff as a board out by the trash cans on our East LA street. I was told he was poisoned. But I digress....





Basketball: A two-way tie between Mugsy Bouges and Spud Webb. Both were amazing 5-foot-something stars in a world of 6-foot-7 giants.




5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Sherman Plunkett, the dog??? Was I there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you were there...but it was the 60s afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:30 PM

    I'm still waiting for Carne Wilson and Jorge Posada to get marrried. She'd be Carne Posada..Sol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carne Posada! That would be one hot tamale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carne Posada, hahaha. (Sol, do you remember Sherman Plunkett, the dog?)

    ReplyDelete