Saturday, October 27, 2007

Now Reading... 3 Nights in August

Back in the late 70s, I used to go to Dodger games with my girlfriend Sharon and her family. I used to stare at Dodger outfielder Rick Monday and think, "What a job that guy has. He gets to stand out in a grassy field all day, getting a nice tan. He makes good money. Girls love him." I thought, since I had to choose a career anyway, why not be a baseball player? Seems like a good job. Somebody has to do it.

Well, I never made any steps in that direction, so consequently, imagine my surprise when I never made it to the big leagues. Now, I'm thinking I may be a little too old. I guess I will have to be a manager.

3 Nights in August is a great book for prospective major league managers like me to read. It looks at St. Louis Cardinal manager (and vegan) Tony LaRussa, examining how he coaches through every pitch, every at bat, every situation in a three-game series against the Chicago Cubs in 2003.

If I were a manager--say of the Boston Red Sox in tonight's World Series game in Colorado where they can't use their designated hitter--my first decision would be to sit slugger David Ortiz and stick with the red-hot Kevin Youkilis ("The Greek God of Walks") at first base. That way you get great offense along with great defense---and of course base running, which Ortiz doesn't offer. Ortiz would then be available to pinch hit.

The real manager of the Red Sox, Terry Francona, must have access to some esoteric stats I don't have. He's going with Ortiz at first and benching Youkilis. Hope it's the right move, Terry. You're on your own on this one.

1 comment:

  1. I was just having my own visions of grandeur watching the series because one of the rookies on the Sox is a player that I coached in T-Ball. He's a pitcher that was drafted in 06 by the name of Jordan Craft #29. His name was not on the active roster when I checked during the series but imagine my excitement that I had helped a little-leager on his way to play for a team in the World Series!. Maybe next season he will be at the mike after the win, thanking his T-Ball coach!!!!!Anyway Aaron, you keep your dream and I will keep mine!

    ReplyDelete