Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cinco de Mayo burrito bash

I originally thought that this blog would have a food theme, hence the "Soulfood." It hasn't turned out that way. I'm not sure what happened....oh yeah..there's that cute baby....

Anyway, we had Tim & Michelle over last might for a mighty burrito feast. As usual, I made WAY TOO MUCH food. We will be eating burritos for months.

Being Cinco de Mayo, the evening was capped off with tequila shots and loud shouts of "Viva Mexico! Hijos de la Chingada!*" Then I realized that everyone was staring at me and wondering what the heck I was yelling about.

Being Cinco de Mayo, we also enjoyed a long call with Cousin Geoffrey in South Korea. It was a sleepy one (his early morning, our late evening), but extremely edifying. Unfortunately, we did miss his birthday, since it was already May 6 in his time zone.

I was up with Amado around 5:00 this morning and I am still quite sleepy. I am trying to solve that by listening to Jethro Tull's Bursting Out album as loud as I can take it in my headphones. That oughta help.

Also, after reading Katie's blog this morning I am also thinking about which horse I would bet on in today's Kentucky Derby if I were a betting man (which I'm not...the last thing I think I bet on was USC vs. Ohio State in the 1975 or 1976 Rose Bowl. I was in junior high, the bet was for $1, and I lost big time). Anyway, just between you and me, I am picking "Barbero" to win the Derby today. I have no reason for this pick, just call it a hunch. MARK MY WORDS!

*See Octavio Paz's classic essay on this phrase, "The Sons of La Malinche," in The Labyrinth of Solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment