Tuesday, May 02, 2006

If I had to learn SpellCheck when I came to America, so should they!


Whatever country these folks are wanting to forge, I want to be part of that vision. It looks very interesting and there is the potential for lots of work for editors like me. ;-)

Seriously, I am very excited by yesterday's action and the rising movement for human rights for immigrants in the United States. I don't understand why the opposition gets so hung up that these folks broke the law to come to the U.S. Afterall, no one is so zealous about prosecuting pot smokers, under-age drinkers, tax cheaters, or corrupt corporate executives. The opposition says it isn't racism, but I have got to wonder. What else is strong enough to suppress good ol' American pragmatism which should know it's obvious the U.S. economy can't allow 4% of its workforce (who do about 99% of the manual labour) to be declared felons and booted out of the country? When it's evident a law isn't working, that law can be changed. That has happened a lot throughout U.S. history, though not too often in ways that benefit the poor.

Toronto's population is about 80% foreign-born, but with hardly any of the "immigrant" trouble that the U.S. appears to have. I don't know why I mention this, but it seems important to point out.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:32 PM

    What insight do you offer on why there are less immigration problems in Canada? it is a curious thing. Sharon

    ReplyDelete