Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Only One Week Until the Daycare Strike...

The workers at Amado's daycare became unionized a year ago and have not been able to work out a collective agreement with Kids and Company. On Oct. 19 they voted to take strike action.

I spoke with a CUPE union representative yesterday who told me that the Early Childhood Education teachers at Kids and Company make significantly less than other ECEs in Toronto, and don't receive worker's comp and other benefits.

I don't know if that's true, but there's been such heavy turnover of teachers since Amado started at Kids and Company in September that we figured something wasn't right. I've actually lost count of the teachers and assistants he's had there in just 2 1/2 months.

On the other hand, Kids and Company was ranked as one of the Top 50 Growth Companies in Canada this year and their CEO Victoria Sopik was selected as one of Canada's Top Women Entrepreneurs by Canadian Business magazine. According to CUPE, Kids and Company had a profit of 1,621% between 2003-2005, before they started expanding. The business doesn't appear to be struggling.

A daycare strike would really be hard on us. We have no idea what we are going to do with Amado. But a better work agreement for the teachers and assistants could really help create a more stable environment for Amado and the rest of the kids.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand conflicted. I hope little Booji finds a home and I hope those women I've watched for the last 2.5 months on their webcam get a better deal.

    ReplyDelete