Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dragon Chicken

I still cook a couple of India Joze dishes on a regular basis. (I was a chef at this famous Santa Cruz cultural landmark in the '80s.) Coptic Chickpeas even made it into our regular dinner rotation.

Last night I made Dragon Chicken, one of the best-loved Joze dishes. It didn't come out that well in my opinion, mainly because somebody stole my bunch of cilantro at the last moment. Instead of posting the recipe, you can watch the creative master of India Joze, Jozseph Schultz, (the artist formerly known as JSFTW) cook it himself. (Fans of "cross contamination" watch this video closely for an incident!)

Above is a photo of my favourite brand of fish sauce, one of the key ingredients in Dragon Chicken. Fish sauce is basically fermented, distilled anchovy juice. And as if that wasn't bad enough, this brand's icon is an old dried squid. However, they do note helpfully that "this product contains no squid."

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:27 AM

    stolen cilantro? (interesting word to use "stolen")now that is a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dragon poultry using a fish sauce that contains no squid dispite the label ... hmmm ... sounds like a Monty Pythonesque evening in YOUR household ...

    Bummer about the cilantro ... take solace in the fact that you live in a city WHERE you can ACTUALLY get such things ... here we can only dream ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Hey Aaron,I need 6 chipati,2 berry lassi,drop a felafel ,2 pakos and a gado egg ! I ask anybody who worked with me to please forgive me for being so mean.I have no excuses. You are all close to my heart and whats left of my mind.
    Chef Antoine-India Joze-'91-'96.if you know aaron please direct him to this post.Anthonyeskimo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>Hey Aaron,I need 6 chipati,2 berry lassi,drop a felafel ,2 pakos and a gado egg !<<

    When I read that I thought, wow, that sounds just like Tony yelling at me :-)

    Tony, it's great to hear from you. I've often wondered where you went to. Don't worry about being mean... we all had our days in the heat of the kitchen, but you were the sweetest guy to work on most occasions! What's going on man? I miss you!

    Peace,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete