Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Please Pray..."

We did an interview with CTS today for a program they are doing on Emerging Spirit. (Well, my boss Keith did the interview and I "produced.") Part of the interview was filmed at Metropolitan United, which is a big, old downtown cathedral in the heart of downtown Toronto.

In the short time we were at Metropolitan United I saw a man pass out on the church steps with a donated peanut butter sandwich between his lips, two guys smoking crack openly on the church lawn, and young, pretty waifish girl throwing up against the church bulwark. Just inside, the massive organ was making twisted sounds as it was being tuned and American guests from Alabama lamented to us how "the Bible belt has really slid in the last couple of years."

Metropolitan United is located in the area where Wendy does a lot of her needle exchange and counselling work with addicts, half the time in the middle of the night. I always try not to think too much about what she is encountering while she's working, because I will just worry. But what I saw today will make that impossible. Like every city, Toronto is filled with so many sad stories that have never been told.

Above: A photo I took on my Treo of the Metropolitan United guest book.

No comments:

Post a Comment