Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Lizard Cage

My friend Nicole emailed to recommend a book that sounds really good. One of the ways I became interested in Burma was through cooking Burmese dishes when I worked at India Joze in the '80s, so I am definitely going to check it out.

(The other way I first became interested in Burma was when I wanted to become a, um, missionary and read the autobiography of Adoniram Judson, the first Protestant preacher to go to Burma in 1807.)

Dear Friends,

I'm writing to recommend an amazing book called The Lizard Cage, by Karen Connelly. It's not out in paperback yet, but it is worth buying in hardback or picking up from the library.

The story takes place inside a Burmese prison and does a remarkable job of exposing the brutality of the military regime while celebrating the beauty of Burmese culture, food and buddhism. While the book is so deeply about Burma, on the grand scale, it explores humanity - in all its brutality and beauty. I found the book hard to put down and had to devote an entire morning one Saturday to finishing it in one go. I followed the end with a profound sense of sadness and hope - and then a Burmese lunch to savor some of the food that is so well described in the book. My hat is off to Karen Connelly who has translated her obvious love and concern for the Burmese into a skilled novel which exposes the current military government.

In light of what is happening right now in Burma, this is a perfect time to read this book. My heart and mind go out to support the monks and people of Burma as they make a brave stand against a brutal regime. May peace prevail. May they be safe.

A link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385518188/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img/104-1066158-5331118


No comments:

Post a Comment