Friday, June 16, 2006

It's Clouds Illusions I Recall


I love rivers, but I think I may love clouds even more....

These pictures from The Forks in Winnipeg show you where Joni Mitchell may have found the inspiration for these words from "Both Sides Now." Joni was born on the Canadian prairie in Saskatchewan and no doubt spent much of her youth observing passing clouds:

Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on evryone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

(By the way, I forgive you Joni for the fact that I had to sing this song in Grade 6 choir. It seemed so incredibly sappy back then. But it wasn't your fault. The 70s were a sappy time for all of us.)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Funny...I was in my writing room this morning at 4:45 Calif. time writing a short story about William who sells insurance to farmers in Bakersfield and sees storm clouds as a profit loss and his mother, Lola who sees the cumulous folds as mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...must be clouds in our blood!

    ReplyDelete