Friday, June 02, 2006

Mammoth, Arizona 1940


Charles Cushman was an amateur photographer who took pictures in the United States, Mexico, and other countries between 1938 and 1969. He gave 14,500 Kodachrome color slides to Indiana University, which has posted the collection here:

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/index.jsp

There are some amazing photos here, like the one above. I love colour photos from pre-1966, which seems to me about the time that everyone got colour film.

These old-time desert pictures remind me of my family on my mom's side who have been making pilgrimages to the desert for generations. There are lots of great photos my grandmother Bam Bea took on desert trips in the 1960s, some with me as a little baby. My mom and Irene also just returned from a long road trip to New Mexico. Hopefully I'll post some of these pictures one day. But for now you will have to feast your eyes on the work of Mr. Cushman.

Here's another, my favourite, from Villa Acuna, Mexico, 1951.


No comments:

Post a Comment