Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Original P*Land Skate Team

Here is the original P*Land Skate Team, on our second ramp. I'm guessing that this picture was taken no later than 1977. Many would come and go from the P*Land crew, but the group pictured here were the originals, who started together by shredding the sidewalks at Phelan Elementary school on clay and even wood wheels. I can still remember being totally amazed when Lee showed up with the first set of Cadillac urethane wheels. They like something from outer space. Then Calvin returned from Hawaii with a fully equipped Sidewalk Surfer...it was all downhill from there.

This ramp, like the halfpipe it predated, was built in the Elferings yard, next door to where Circle K is now in Phelan. It was built leaning on Wrightwood Disposal trash bins, which was the company owned by George and Tony's dad. That's the trash truck in the background.

Left to right: Tony Elfering (top row), George Elfering, Aaron Gallegos, Calvin Owens, Lee Williamson, Sol Gallegos (top row)
Thanks to Tony Elfering for sending me this historic photo. I had never seen it before. Tony send me several more that I will be posting very soon. They're gonna blow your mind.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:35 PM

    Aaron, I love this photo! I've never seen it before..Talk about "our gang"....it would be great if you could gather this same group together for a 2007 photo..(or maybe everyone could send you a current picture in similar poses and photo shop could do its magic?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Wow, cool photo! That's exactly how I remember all of you! Hopefully more great pictures will turn up from these guys!Thanks for sharing Tony...hope you're doing well! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Hey, I too tell my kids how amazing those first boards were...the wide wood decks and trucks that actually had mobility and man how those wheels spun with those bearings. Before that Greg and I had those silly narrow plastic boards with the tiny metal wheels and hardly anywhere to ride them. I do remember us all over the Serrano site during construction, we were so excited to see pavement! That was when I shredded on those fancy roller skates with the urethane wheels. That roller rink is still there in Victorville that we used to go to. No more drive-in though. We do still have one nearby we go to. Remember the time we drove off and the speaker was still attached to your window? You had that for a while. What a relic that thing is huh? Thanks for rekindling the memories! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>Remember the time we drove off and the speaker was still attached to your window?

    Oh yeah, I remember that. How could I forget? The drive-in speaker was hooked up to the stereo in George & Tony's room.

    Special Note to employees of Joshua Drive-In Theater: It was Sharon's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:36 PM

    Too bad I don't have that speaker now...I could make a sculpture out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:36 AM

    hey buddy, thanks for throwing me under the bus! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:43 PM

    Hey, I do still see Calvin Occasinally, He lives about 150 miles from me with his family. He seems to be doing fine. Last year we went out in the desert to check and set some of his traps. Yea he is still trapping coyotes & Cats. It was a crazy day. We ended up driving around the desert and shooting jack rabbits all night in my VW Jetta

    Tony

    ReplyDelete