Friday, March 30, 2007

Something You May Not Know about Me #1

I was one of "Los Ninos del Mundo" (Kids of the World) who helped to paint the famous Estrada Court murals in East LA. Anyone who saw the 70s T.V. show "Chico and the Man" will recognize these paintings from the show's opening. Our family was good friends with one of the main painters for the project, the Chicano artist Charles Felix, who we called "C.W."

There was a picture of my brother and I working on one of these murals in the LA Times. It was actually the second time I was featured in the LA Times for my painting. The first time was when I was in head start in East LA, and the wife of Governor Pat Brown (Jerry's mom) hovered over me as I painted at an easel. (Mom, this news clip may not be scannable, but I sure would love a copy!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:16 PM

    You are making dinner so here is my little note to you...
    Orale Raza!
    Beautiful stuff!
    But why didn't you get good snacks after such hard work?
    I hope and pray that Amadisto Booji will see this and understand the struggle and the joy from which it comes.
    Boycott those Grapes!
    Wendyxo

    ReplyDelete